Thursday, June 23, 2011

Protein Packed Cheesy Oats

I am always on the lookout for a new way to eat oats.  I do like oats for breakfast, but they just don't seem to stick to my ribs till lunchtime.  Not enough protein, I think.

Today  I decided to add some cottage cheese to my cooked oats.  There is lots of protein in cottage cheese.  And, I have used it, mixed with cinnamon, as a topper for toast... so why not as a mix-in for my oats?

It turned out to be very tasty.  And I was definitely satisfied all morning.




Cheesy Oats
Makes 1 serving
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbs raisins
  • 1/3 cup 1% cottage cheese
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp honey
  1. Bring water to a rolling boil in small saucepan.  Stir in oats and reduce heat to low.  Cook for about 7 or 8 minutes, stirring often, until thickened.
  2. Remove from heat and put oats into a serving bowl.  Stir in raisins, and cottage cheese.
  3. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top, then drizzle with honey.
  4. Add other toppings as desired.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 242; Protein 13g; Carbohydrate 43g; Fat 3g; Fibre 4g.


Stir the cottage cheese and raisins into the hot, cooked oats.


Banana slices are the perfect topping - and they add a bit more sweetness, too.


1 comment:

  1. what a clever idea... Cottage Cheese in the oats sounds wonderful!

    I had my adventures on weight watchers a few years ago. I tried the CORE program, wish I would have ventured into flex, probably would have stuck more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.