It was like Summer was bidding us a very tearful goodbye!
The Captain has been purchasing lovely locally-grown squashes and sweet potatoes for me this past couple of weeks so I selected a butternut squash for my soup… and then decided to add some sweet potato, too, for a bit of extra thickness, rich color, and of course, great taste! You know I love me some orange YAM!
I am going to share the proportions and the method I used, but I know you will adjust it to suit your own dietary needs and tastes. Whenever I make these types of soups, I use the same method…. it’s only the ingredients and spices that tend to change.
And I was fortunate to have some homemade turkey stock on hand today so of course I used that, too.
Makes 8 one-cup servings
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 cup sliced white onion (6 oz.)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (1-1/2 lb.)
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks (9 oz.)
- 4 cups turkey or chicken broth
- healthy/liberal sprinkling of dried ginger and nutmeg
- Place coconut oil in a large saucepan over MEDIUM heat and sauté onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add squash, sweet potatoes and saute a few minutes more.
- Add several sprinkles of ginger and nutmeg, stir into veggies, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and when cooled, blend until smooth with immersion blender.
- Reheat, to serve, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fat free sour cream or Greek yogurt if you like.
Per 1-cup serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3. Not including garnish.
Calories 102 ; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 20g; Fat 2g; Fibre 3g
Cook the onions and garlic till just translucent, not browned.
Add the sweet potato and squash to the pot.
Cook for about half an hour and then let cool.
Puree. An immersion blender is a very good tool for this job.
Creamy and thick and quite delicious!
Do like to make homemade soups, too? What is your favorite?