Thursday, February 25, 2016

Roasted Cauliflower and Chicken Soup

I have been buying up cauliflower like a crazy person lately. All Winter long they were so expensive... I saw them as high as $6.95 per head... and now that they are a decent price again, I cannot stop buying them!

But I can only eat so much Low-Carb Flatbread and Cauliflower Rice, so have been trying to come up with some new ways to enjoy all of this glorious cauliflower.  This soup was an experiment for sure, and a happy one as it turned out so well.   We almost always have some roasted chicken breasts in the refrigerator as I tend to do them in batches of 3 or 4 every few days so I have some on hand for salads or for The Captain's favorite fried rice dish at lunch time.

I used a bit of fat free yogurt in this dish to give it a creaminess, but you could leave it out if you are eating Paleo.  This soup is naturally gluten free.

Roasted Cauliflower and Chicken Soup

Roasted  Cauliflower and Chicken Soup
Makes 2 servings.

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups cauliflower, washed and broken into florets
  • 1/2 cup onion roughly chopped
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 cooked chicken breast, about 6 to 8 ounces, cut into small chunks
  • 1/2 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Instructions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with a non-stick spray.
  3. Spread the cauliflower florets and onion pieces on the foil and drizzle or spray with the olive oil.
  4. Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes. 
  5. Remove from oven and place the veggies in a stockpot or large sauce pan.
  6. Add the chicken broth and garlic to the veggies and bring to a boil.
  7. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
  8. Add the chicken and heat through about 5 more minutes.
  9. Remove from heat and then puree with an immersion blender till the chicken is shredded.
  10. Divide the mixture between 2 bowls and then stir 1/2 cup of yogurt into each.
  11. Season with salt and pepper.
You can garnish your soup in a variety of ways... I had a few pieces of shaved parmesan cheese on mine and it was delicious. I think crumbled bacon and chopped green onions and a bit of shredded cheddar would be really nice too.

Per serving without garnish.
WW Smart Points = 5.
Calories 243; Saturated Fat 1g; Sugar 10g; Protein 36g.

Roasted Cauliflower and Onions
Roasted cauliflower and onions


Leftover cooked chicken breast, cut into chunks
Leftover cooked chicken breast, cut into chunks


Into the stockpot with broth
Into the stockpot with broth


Garnished and ready to serve
Garnished and ready to serve



Are you a cauliflower fan, too?

What's your favorite way to enjoy it?


8 comments:

  1. Mmm, this looks really tasty! I do like cauliflower but don't purchase it as often as I should. What a creative idea! I need to be more like you and always have some chicken available to cook in unique ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I pureed the veggies enough I could trick my son and husband into eating this! I am really into soup right now as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at roasted cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge fan of cauliflower!! I love steaming it with a little bit of olive oil.
    This soup looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! Love the combo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have not gotten on the cauliflower bandwagon. Your recipe does sound delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I love cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.